Monday, March 9, 2009

Aunt Mary's Special Cake with Strawberries

recipe


Several years ago I had a chance


to go through Aunt Mary's little recipe box.  I copied down the recipes that I thought I might like to make and read through those that I remembered her making.  There was Date Nut Cake, Chess Pie, Pecan Crisp Cookies and even a recipe on stationery sent from a friend along with a greeting and personal  note.  One that stood out to me was hid near the back of the box, with no name other than Cake.  Not wanting it to get lost in my files I renamed it "Special Cake". 

recipecard

Over the years, I've made Special Cake several times, usually during the summer to go with strawberries and fresh whipped cream.  My oldest daughter happens to love Strawberry Shortcake. 

cake-pan

I made it again this weekend and decided to use my new bundt pan (can you call it a pan if it's ceramic?) from Williams-Sonoma that was a gift from my dear youngest brother.

cake

My cake wanted to stick a little and didn't brown as well as the one on the cake pan lable, even after baking for 45 minutes.  I took a slice of it and cubed it up for Strawberry Shortcake Trifle. 

trifle

Don't you just love spring?  Spring brings us those delicious little red bits of delectable fruit we call strawberries.  Aunt Mary brought me a Special Cake recipe to use with that delicious fruit,  along with many wonderful memories.

trifle2

Happy Spring and happy Strawberry Shortcake Season!

Read more about Aunt Mary's life and recipes

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! There's another quick and easy dessert idea (once you have the cake, anyway)! Love the handwritten recipe for "Cake"--must be very special to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest story, and the dessert looks fantastic. Love handwritten recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my Grandmother's recipe box. The hand writings are even very similar. Weird in a nice way! Like the new cake pan; it's almost to pretty to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] there was still plenty of Aunt Mary’s Special Cake to be eaten.  I recalled my Mom’s  famous Skillet Cake and Fudge Sauce that I always [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice looking easy dessert, I like the design of the bundt ceramic. :D

    ReplyDelete