Monday, July 20, 2009

Kitchenaids and Potato Soup

Recently I've enlisted the help of my growing daughters in the kitchen.  I'm encouraging them to cook 1 meal a week each, starting out...hopefully to increase to several more in the coming weeks.  They arrive home before I get off work, so they can get a head start on dinner and I won't have so much to do when I get home.

My 13 year old chose the menu for tonight, did the shopping with the help of her daddy, and prepared and cooked most of the meal. 

pot soup

Her menu:

I thought she did a great job.  The soup was very filling.  I was a little scared that my Handyman would say, "Where's the beef?" but he didn't and was very satisfied with A's menu choice.  I'm very satisfied that I came up with this wonderful idea!  :)

Aunt Dorothy's Potato Soup

8 medium potatoes, diced

2 Tbsp butter

1 cup onion, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups milk or cream

2 Tbsp cornstarch

celery and carrots (optional)

chopped parsley

Cook potatoes, onions, celery and carrots in boiling, salted water until tender, 20-30 minutes.  Drain the potatoes, add milk.  We used a potatoe masher to smash the potatoes and then stirred the milk into the smashed potatoe mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add cornstarch and parsley.  Simmer until thickened.  Serve topped with your choice of shredded cheese, real bacon pieced, and sliced green onions.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, I love potato soup.
    It's wise to let your kids start cooking young. I have so many friends that never learned to cook at home.

    ReplyDelete