Monday, December 21, 2009

Chocolate Gravy, Southern Style

Gravy, gravy, gravy!


~~~


Here in the South, Chocolate Gravy is served at breakfast over "cat-head" biscuits, as my dear Dad calls them.   My own daughters used to gag at the idea of gravy being sweet, until they grew up a little and learned just how delicious chocolage gravy poured over a warm biscuit and topped with a pat of butter can be.

It's not something I make on a regular basis, but for a special breakfast treat.

...


Speaking of Dad, his specialty was always Tomato Gravy, a savory gravy made with bacon drippings and flour, with chopped fresh tomato pieces added.  Yum, yum!  I must make some soon.

...

My friend Jada shares her family's secret recipe for Chocolate Gravy.




Chocolate Gravy

2cups sugar

3TBS cocoa

3 heaping TBS flour

add 3-4cups HOT water

Mix sugar, flour, and cocoa with whisk first, then add your water.  Mix well.  Cook on med heat until it boils. 

Add more water if it gets too thick. Some like it thick, some dont. I let mine set and cool about 5 min before serving so its not like lava--lol--ENJOY! I've just let y'all in on a BIG family recipe  :)

4 comments:

  1. I don't think you can be from the South and not know about Chocolate Gravy. I have not made it in years! I have a friend that loves it more than anything you can eat. I will have to make it for my two year old grandson. He loves anything chocolate. I hope you have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Chocolate Gravy. But since I've never met a gravy I didn't like, I bet it's DELICIOUS. You just put these on regular biscuits??? I'll be trying this! And thanks for visiting my blog. I wish I had time to do nothing but check out other folks' blogs. They are so interesting and you learn so many new things!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, Robbin. You can put these on regular biscuits. Any kind will do, IMHO. :D Glad you stopped by today. I enjoyed your blog as well and bookmarked it for future reference. I'd love to spend all day blog-hopping, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] with honey, jam, sorghum, meat, or how about some Chocolate Gravy?   The freedom of  choice is [...]

    ReplyDelete