Thursday, January 7, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

Oh, how I love the smell of bread baking in the oven!


It speaks to my soul and tells me good things are to come.

.

Years ago (seems like a lot of my posts start with this), I clipped a Basic Buttermilk Biscuit recipe from my Mom-in-love's Southern Living magazine.

...



.

This is my go-to, tried and true, never-fail biscuit recipe that I use when I'm not low carbing or I just wanna make biscuits for the family on Saturday morning.

.

 

I use my medium size biscuit cutter so my biscuits are smaller than usual.  I tend to like'm small, tall, and fluffy...almost bite-size, well at least a few bites worth.   I do love things in miniature.

 ...

 

 .



 Begin by cutting the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

.

.



Add buttermilk and stir just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.

;

.



Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and gently knead or fold over itself 4-5 times.    Folding creates multiple layers of dough and fat, giving rise to a tender, fluffy biscuit.  Pat or roll to ¾” thick; cut with a round biscuit cutter.

.

.



Place into a greased pan with side touching.  This helps with the rise.  I used my round Wilton silicone cake pan and it worked great!  There was even a slight crust on the bottom of some of the biscuits.

.

.



Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter. 

.

.

Serve with honey, jam, sorghum, meat, or how about some Chocolate Gravy?   The freedom of  choice is yours!

.

;

 



.

Basic Buttermilk Biscuits

1/3 cup butter, cut up

2 cups self rising flour (White Lily is good)

3/4 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons melted butter

 

Preheat oven to 425ºF.  Cut butter in flour w/ pastry cutter.  Add buttermilk and stir just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.   Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and gently knead or fold over itself 4-5 times.    Folding creates multiple layers of dough and fat, giving rise to a tender, fluffy biscuit. 

Pat or roll to ¾” thick; cut with a round biscuit cutter.  Pat or roll to ¾” thick; cut with a round biscuit cutter.   Bake for 12-14 minutes. Brush with melted butter fresh from the oven.  Serve warm.

Yield:  12-14 (1½”) biscuits or 7 (2½”) biscuits

.

Recipe courtesy of Southern Living Magazine

8 comments:

  1. Oh . . . my . . . goodness! When I'm not low-carbing I'LL be making these. They look absolutely delicious. Great with a slice of country ham. Great with a spoon full of my homemade apple butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed your comment about fried bologna. We used to eat that all the time when I was a kid. Thanks for the great memory. I don't think my kids would eat fried bologna :(!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like bologna even though it's not the healthiest meat choice out there! :D

    In the summer, there's nothing like a fried bolonga sandwich with mayo and fresh tomato! Yum, yum

    My grandmother took it a step further and toasted/grilled the whole sandwich and it was TDF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's not many people who have ever heard of chocolate gravy. It's a once a year treat with my whole family when we get together for Christmas.
    thanks for the biscuit recipe, I have yet to find one that I really like (hoping this is it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw, my site is at dustythornfarm.blogspot.com if you want to check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these biscuits today. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I have looked for a decent biscuit recipe for years and this, I believe, is it for me.
    i took some pics and will post them tomorrow with a link back to you.
    Thanks again:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dusty, Chocolate Gravy is awesome and I'll be sure to stop by your site real soon. Thanks for the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, this Biscuit Recipe is so simple and delicious, it's hard not to like. I'll be watching out for your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete