Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fried Cornbread and Hush Puppies

Nothing goes with white beans like Fried Cornbread. 

At a restaurant not too far away this is called the "Po' Boy Special".  It comes with a slice of Vidalia onion and a tall glass of iced sweet tea.

.

Last week we had some white beans flavored with baked ham and some fried cornbread.  I like Aunt Mary's Red Tomato Relish on my white beans.  Just a taste brings back sweet memories.

.

A couple nights later, my Handyman fried some fish and we made Hush Puppies.  Those were yummy, too.  My friend, Karen, has the best Hush Puppy recipe!

.

I'm sharing both these recipes today.

.



 



Fried Cornbread Fritters

1 cup of self rising white cornmeal
1 cup of buttermilk
3/4 cup of self-rising flour
1 egg, beaten

Mix the ingredients together and fry like pancakes on an oiled hot griddle or skillet.  Like pancakes, when you see the bubbles on top, it's time to flip them.  Another minute or so on that side and they should be done.  Remove to a serving plate and try not to pinch off the crispy edge while the others cook.  Good luck. :)

......oOOo......oOOo......oOOo......oOOo......


.


There are many opinions as to where the name "Hush Puppies" came from, but the general concensus is that the name has something to do with keeping dogs quiet.

.

"Hush puppies--golden-brown puffs invented to shush up the barking puppies at an outdoor feast; made by putting corn-bread batter into deep fat."

---American Heritage Cookbook, American Heritage [American Heritage:New York] 1964 (p. 128)



Karen's Hush Puppies

2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix

3 tablespoons self-rising flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup diced onion

1/4 cup green bell pepper (omitted this time)

1 cup milk

1 egg, beaten

vegetable oil for deep-frying

.

In a deep fryer or heavy, deep skillet, heat 2 - 3 inches of oil over medium heat to 375°. 

In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour, sugar, onion, and pepper. Add milk and egg; mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drop batter by tablespoons into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning several times. Drain on paper towels. Makes about 12 large  hush puppies.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Girl...I haven't had fried cornbread in years!! Funny how you forget about stuff and then you see it and gotta have it. Now!

    Thanks for making my mouth water uncontrollably:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make the cornbread tonight:) but something was wrong with Wordpress earlier (when it was time to start cooking) and I couldn't get on here to find the chicken and dumpling recipe.

    But....I had talked with Mama yesterday about my dumpling troubles and she gave me tips my Aunt Vicki uses. To my amazement, they turned out better than I've ever done in the past!

    And just between me and you, if I'd used that other recipe, I wasn't gonna put chives in it. Just seemed to fancy for our tastes:)

    The cornbread was very yummy and filled my cornbread void for a while. At least til the weekend.

    ReplyDelete