Monday, March 16, 2009

Cheesy Sausage Egg Muffins (Low Carb)

eggmuffin

There are several versions of the Low Carb Sausage Egg Muffin out there.  I came across this recipe a few years ago and have continued to use it when I have a desire for an easy take-along breakfast.

Cheesy Sausage Egg Muffins (Low Carb)



6 Tbs crushed pork skins
1/2 cup chopped veggies of your choice
sausage or bacon, cooked and crumbled
5 eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese

Using a 6 cup muffin pan, place about 1 tablespoon of crushed pork skins in the bottom of each muffin cup.  Next, place meat and veggies on top of the pork skins.  Pour the beaten eggs over the pork skins, meat, and veggies layers, enough to fill the cup.  Top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins have puffed up and look set (done).



Sorry there's no specific measurements.  I usually just guesstimate on the amounts.  That means the muffins are usually different, but always good.  There's so many possibilities. 

One of my favorites combinations is pizza toppings where I use pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and onions.   Another possibility is a savory cheesy chicken and broccoli muffin.

After baking, I let them cool, then bag them up by twos.  That gives me three days of a ready-made low carb breakfast that I can take along to work with me to have with my coffee.

Happy Low Carbing!

For more low carb recipes, go here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding me to your blog roll, and turning me on to your blog. Those muffins look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins look fantastic. My girls would love these for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins would be perfect for breakfast "on the run." What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doing a brunch in a few weeks - I need to remember these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea. It sounds like quiche without the crust.

    I like the other suggestions you have here... I can see all kinds of possibilities hmm... maybe spinach, mushroom and cheese.

    Thanks.. they look awesome!

    -David

    ReplyDelete