Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Deep Fried Cauliflower Florets (Low Carb)

cauli

As I was deep frying these little golden bites, different ones wandered through the kitchen and asked what it was that I was cooking. My Handyman finally decided that this was our pre-dinner appetizer.  I didn't tell him they were low carb.  They wouldn't have come within an inch of his mouth had he known.  ;)

These can be served without or with any tasty dipping sauce you like.  We chose Ranch and Heinz LC Ketchup.
Deep Fried Cauliflower Florets (low carb)


One 16oz bag frozen cauliflower

1 egg

3 T cream, half and half, or water

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup grated romano cheese

seasoning spices (garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, etc)

hot oil for deep frying


Rinse and thaw the frozen cauliflower.  Drain off the water.  With a fork or whisk, mix the cream, half and half, or even water with the egg.  Set aside.  Add your preferred spices to both cheeses, stir and set aside.


Put about a cup of cauliflower florets into the egg mixture, stir around until the florets are coated with egg.  Next put the florets into the cheese mixture (I put the cheese into a quart size freezer bag) and shake around until the cauliflower florets are well coated with the cheese mixture.


Carefully drop into the hot oil.  Deep fry 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.  Continue until all the cauliflower is cooked. Drain on paper towels and serve with your preferred dipping sauce.

caulif2

9 comments:

  1. I love to window shop the Foodie Blog Roll sites with my coffee in the morning. Every now and then I run across a site that I really like and yours is one of those. I love the photos and your selection of recipes. My husband and daughter will love the deep fried cauliflower so, thanks from them in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Great recipe, I'll have to make them as a side dish to go with the beef roast I have on hand... YUM!

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I make these every so often, & ooooh are they good! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love fried cauliflower, and yours looks especially gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep-fried and low-carb. I like the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, I bet that would be great with broccoli too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fried cauliflower but I've never had a recipe for it. Thank you so much, I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fake food present!!
    I was afraid you were going to coat them in "low carb baking mix" or soy flour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! These things are so good. Thanks

    ReplyDelete