Thursday, March 19, 2009

Peanut Butter Balls

I’ve been making this recipe for 27 years now.  I first made it as a teenager while living at home back in the 1980's.  It was a favorite of my brother and he still requests them today.   This recipe is great for the Christmas holiday or even Easter! 
pbballs

Peanut Butter Balls

One 18 oz jar of peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
2 sticks butter, softened
1 & ½ boxes of powdered sugar (I usually buy the 2 lb bag and guesstimate according to the mixture’s consistency)
Chocolate Bark (1 lb or as needed to dip the balls)
(My recipe actually calls for chocolate chips and parrafin melted over a double boiler, but chocolate bark melted in the micorwave is easier)

 Cream the peanut butter and the butter in a heavy duty mixer. I burnt up a couple of handheld mixer motors before my Handyman got me a Kitchenaid stand mixer.  Add the powdered sugar a little at a time until mixed thoroughly. The mixture will be VERY thick.

Roll into 1” or smaller balls. I then chill mine for a few hours. Melt the bark in a small deep bowl in the microwave until creamy smooth. Proceed to dip balls and place on a parchment covered sheet pan until the chocolate hardens.  This recipe makes several dozen.

Store in the fridge for several days or on the counter ‘cause they won’t last long!

10 comments:

  1. I make this one every Easter too. I love to decorate them for the kids and hide them in their baskets. They are soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, that is a great idea!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these - I never thought to make them at Easter time. We make them at Christmas and call them Reindeer Droppings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jilley,

    These look sooo good! I'm gonna have to try them! Sounds like they taste like a reeses peanut butter cup.

    I'm thinking of using the creamy peanut butter and adding a peanut inside each one of those delectable little treats, or maybe a chocolate chip or two. Yum!

    Thanks for the recipe :-)

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  6. The famous peanutbutter balls! So, how many days till Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, yummy! They look delicious !

    I made some coconut balls (cocadas)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, these look dangerous--too easy to just pop in your mouth, one after another, without even thinking about it! i'll have to try these. peanut butter and chocolate...what a winning combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOoh, my boys would LOVE these!

    I actually thought I had hit back onto my own blog here - we used the same "theme"!

    ReplyDelete